BUYER CLOSING CHECKLIST
Congratulations! You are nearing closing and it's time to begin preparing for ownership of your new home. Here is your final checklist to get ready for closing. Take a look through it and let us know if you have any questions.
1. INSURANCE. If you have not already done so through the loan process, you will need to get an insurance policy for your unit. For condos, it is typically referred to as a "walls-in" policy. We recommend using a local provider because they have a better understanding of our market, climate, etc. However, you are welcome to use your own provider. Click here for our local recommendations.
2. ELECTRIC. If electricity is included in your HOA, it will automatically be transferred at closing. Otherwise, you will need to contact Mountain Parks Electric and have it transferred to your name effective on your closing date. www.MPEI.com 970-887-3378
3. GAS. If gas is included in your HOA, it will automatically be transferred at closing. Otherwise, you will need to contact Xcel Energy and have it transferred to your name effective on your closing date. This can be done online at www.XcelEnergy.com or by calling 800-895-4999.
4. CABLE. If cable is included in your HOA, it will automatically be transferred at closing. To upgrade your service, please contact Comcast directly. If cable is not included in your HOA, there are several service providers in our area, the most common being Comcast. Tip: It is easier to go to the local Comcast office in Granby in person. 62543 US-40, Granby, CO 80446 (888) 824-4010
5. INTERNET. If internet is included in your HOA, it will automatically be transferred at closing. Otherwise, click here for a list of internet providers in Grand County. Note: some may not be available in your specific neighborhood.
6. WATER AND SEWER will be automatically transferred by the title company at closing.
7. TRASH. If trash removal is not included in your HOA and you would like to get set up with a trash pick up company, you can contact The Trash Company at 970-627-8531 or Waste Management at 720-466-1429. For trash drop off, check out The Drop in Fraser.
8. HOA. If your neighborhood has an HOA, the title company will provide your HOA management company with your contact information and they will reach out to you directly.
9. MAIL. If you need to receive mail locally, you will need to open a P.O. Box as we do not have door to door mail delivery in Grand County. We have post offices in each town. FedEx and UPS will deliver directly to your door.
10. FINAL WALKTHROUGH. We will plan to do a final walkthrough a day or two before closing to ensure the property is ready for you. If you would like to be there for that, please let us know so that we can coordinate with you on the scheduling of that. We can always do a video (FaceTime) walkthrough with you if you are not able to make it but would like to ‘be there.’ Otherwise, we’ll take care of it and let you know if anything comes up.
11. FINAL AMOUNT DUE. The title company will send us a Settlement Statement two to three days prior to closing that will show your final amount due at closing. That is the amount you will need to pay either via cashier’s check or arrange for a wire transfer.
*If wiring money, please call the title company directly to obtain secure wiring instructions. Be sure to check that all the places where your funds will be coming from actually do same day wires and that they'll wire to a title company. Sometimes investment firms will only wire to your bank account thus requiring a second wire transfer. Ensure that funds will arrive by the morning of closing. We highly recommend that you not wait until the day of closing to initiate the wire.
12. CLOSING APPOINTMENT. If you are a buyer paying cash for your new property, you have the option of e-signing for closing vs. attending in person. Please let us know if you prefer this option. Otherwise, we will work with you to schedule your closing appointment with the title company for a time that works for you. For in-person appointments, be sure to bring your ID and cashier’s check (if applicable). Just a reminder that if you will be bringing a cashier’s check for your final amount due at closing, you will need to make that payable to the title company.
13. POSSESSION. Possession will typically take place upon closing AND your funds being received by the title company. Should any wired funds not arrive in the title company's account by 5pm on the day of closing, possession will not take place until the following day.